Title: The Little Book of Hygge: Danish secrets to happy living
Author: Meik Wiking
Genre: Hygge, Lifestyle, Nonfiction
Publisher: Penguin Life
Release Date: September 1st, 2016
What is hygee? And how do you say it, anyway? Meik Wiking says that hygge (pronounced HOO-GA) “is about an atmosphere and an experience, rather than about things. It is about being with the people we love. A feeling of home.” He then teaches how to create hygge in the home and in your life like the Danes, the happiest people in Europe according to the European Social Survey.
So what are some ways we can bring some hygge into our lives? Wiking includes a “Hygge Manifesto” complete with adorable graphics:
- ATMOSPHERE (Turn down the lights.)
- PRESENCE (Be here now. Turn off the phones.)
- PLEASURE (Coffee, chocolate, cookies, cakes, candy.)
- EQUALITY (“We” over “me.” Share the tasks and the airtime.)
- GRATITUDE (Take it in. This might be as good as it gets.)
- HARMONY (It’s not a competition. We already like you. There is no need to brag about your achievements.)
- COMFORT (Get comfy. Take a break. It’s all about relaxation.)
- TRUCE (No drama. Let’s discuss politics another day.)
- TOGETHERNESS (Build relationships and narratives. “Do you remember the time we…?”)
- SHELTER (This is your tribe. This is a place of peace and security.)
I loved this book! I recommend you reading it with a cup of tea or coffee, snuggled under a cozy blanket, with a candle lit close by. Now, doesn’t that sound hyggelig?
If you enjoyed this review, please consider following Reads & Roses. It would mean the world to have you on my team!
Reads and Roses is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.